Since high school, I have seriously struggled on my fitness journey. I have been on the search for something that truly works for me for years now and I have learned a lot from people who know way more than I do. Recently I came across an incredible website that takes everything I have learned and more and makes it super clear and easy to follow. It's called Simple Science Fitness, and it even has calculators to help you personalize your fitness and nutrition plans. Check it out, I promise you will be glad you did!
These are some of the main ideas that stand out to me and serve as daily reminders that help me achieve RESULTS. :)
- Your body composition is 80% diet, and 20% exercise. (Yes, genetics play role in our body shape and predispositions to more muscle/fat, but we CAN CONTROL our fat loss and muscle gain regardless of what we were born with.)
- Burn more calories than you eat to lose weight. It is that simple. BUT, our bodies (and metabolisms) function more efficiently when we consume calories in a way that meets our personal macronutrient needs.
- Basically, eat a LOT of protein, but also to not be afraid of (good) carbs and fats. We need all three to be optimus prime. SSF gives you your personal numbers to work with based on your body. Prep your meals ahead of time, otherwise it is extremely difficult to stick to.
- DRINK A LOT OF WATER. If you don’t have to pee all the time you’re pretty much doing it wrong.
- Use an app like MyFitnessPal to help keep track of your food throughout the day and to avoid mindless eating.
- GIRLS, you will not get bulky from lifting weights!! I know it’s true, even though I still fear it. What WILL make you bulky is eating the wrong foods in the wrong portions.
- Lifting is actually more beneficial to weight loss than cardio. You will burn more calories throughout the day just to maintain your fresh new muscle. Wooo! ;)
- Sleep enough, it is important. Stretch enough, it is also important.
- Vary your workouts to keep your mind and your muscles stimulated :)
- Have fun and don’t do it for anyone but yourself!